March has arrived, and that can only mean one thing: it’s National Nutrition Month. Every March, Drs. Nettune and Banasiak, as well as thousands of other dentists and orthodontists celebrate National Nutrition Month. This March, our team at Nettune and Banasiak Orthodontic Associates and our team want you to think diabetes, obesity and periodontal disease, and how healthful eating and physical activity may improve periodontal health.
At Nettune and Banasiak Orthodontic Associates, we know small changes really can make a big difference, and the American Dietetic Association (ADA) has some advice on ways to start improving your diet this March:
• Focus on fruits and vegetables: Add a serving each day to one meal and increase it every few weeks. Adding more of these foods into your diet is important whether you buy frozen, fresh or organic.
• Think local: From farmer’s markets to community-supported agriculture, you have many options to find new, fresh foods in New Jersey.
• Make calories count: When you are choosing between options, focus instead on the one with more of the vitamins and nutrients that you need. Sometimes, foods with fewer calories aren’t always the healthiest options.
• Expand your horizons: Try a fish you’ve never eaten before or find a new vegetable recipe. By testing yourself, you might find new health favorites to add to your regular grocery list.
• Trick yourself with treats: If you have a sweet tooth, have fruit and yogurt for dessert. If you crave a snack in the afternoon, enjoy some trail mix or nuts.
If you have additional questions about periodontal disease or keeping yourself and your mouth healthy, please give us a call!