One of the most important aspects of your orthodontic treatment begins when the braces come off. Maintaining your outcome often requires the use of a retainer, as this helps your teeth stabilize in their new position. To preserve your bite alignment, you will need to wear your retainer regularly and take good care of the appliance. Retainer maintenance is simple and straightforward, but it will require diligence. A little patience can give you the smile you’ve always wanted with permanent results. Some tips for retainer wear and care include:
- Brush your retainer daily with your regular toothbrush and toothpaste
- Only hold the retainer by the central portion, avoiding pressure on the sensitive edges and metal parts
- Remove the retainer and put it in place slowly and carefully
- When not wearing your retainer, such as when eating or drinking, keep it safely secured in its case.
- Wear your retainer consistently at all times except those recommended by your orthodontist
- Retainers must be worn indefinitely as teeth can move anytime throughout life
Some types of retainers require additional care, and we will provide any other details you’ll need during your consultation. For more information, or if you have any questions about your retainer, please reach out to our friendly and knowledgeable team.